and the population peaked in the same year, when the island had 221 people.
There were three schools, a Wesleyan chapel, and three public houses, mostly used by visiting sailors.
Sir Henry de la Pomeroy captured the mount, on behalf of Prince John, in the reign of King Richard I.
John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford, seized and held it during a siege of twenty-three weeks against 6,000 of Edward IV's troops. Sir Humphrey Arundell, Governor of St Michael's Mount, led the rebellion of 1549.
The village went into decline following major improvements to nearby Penzance harbour and the extension of the railway to Penzance in 1852, and many of the houses and buildings were demolished.
A short underground, funicular narrow gauge railway was built in Victorian times. It occasionally operates, but only for demonstration reasons and is not open to the general public, although a small stretch is visible at the harbour.
It was a destination for pilgrims, whose devotions were encouraged by an indulgence granted by Pope Gregory in the 11th century.
The monastic buildings were built during the 12th century and in 1275 an earthquake destroyed the original Priory Church, which was rebuilt in the late 14th century, remaining in use.
There is evidence of people living in the area during the Neolithic (from circa 4000 to 2500 BCE years).2500 to 800 BCE) although any summit cairns would have most likely been destroyed when building the castle.A hoard of copper weapons, once thought to have been found on the mount, are now thought to have been found on nearby Marazion Marsh.Archived documents revealed that during his time in Britain in the 1930s, when he had proposed an alliance with Nazi Germany, General von Ribbentrop frequently visited Cornwall.In 1954, the 3rd Baron St Levan gave most of St Michael's Mount to the National Trust, together with a large endowment fund.It was a priory of that abbey until the dissolution of the alien houses as a side-effect of the war in France by Henry V, when it was given to the Abbess and Convent of Syon at Isleworth, Middlesex in 1424.